Monday, May 11, 2009

A Venture Outside Atlanta: Guadalajara Mexican Grill‎ - Callaway, FL

So, yes, we always find a Mexican restaurant when we are on vacation. As picky as we are, I never have very high expectations. This was a trip to Panama City to visit my sister and niece, and to go to my hairdresser and good friend's wedding. Saturday at lunch we needed FOOD! What better time to eat Mexican!? My sister, Jane, had told us that they had discovered a new Mexican restaurant so off we went after running many errands.

Guadalajara Mexican Grill is in a little strip mall beside Wal-Mart in Callaway, FL. It's in the general Panama City/PCB area. Nothing really special on the inside, but I was pleasantly surprised. Now, let me preface this by saying that I had had w-a-y too many margaritas the night before, lovingly made by the wonderful hubby, Scott...so I wasn't feeling great. I'd almost gotten rid of the headache, but generally was trying to ride out the slight hangover I had. When it came time to order drinks, I truly was going to order a sweet tea, but HOW could I judge this restaurant fairly without having a Texas margarita on the rocks, no salt!? You tell me? Not possible. So...I ordered a large water and the margarita. I had no serious expectations and was really pleasantly surprised. It was good, flavorful, you could taste the tequila and it wasn't overpowered by the mix. Just enough sweetness to suit my taste. They were off to a very good start!

Of course, out came the chips and salsa. Not what I'd call awesome, but very good. And I especially liked that each person got their very own little serving dish...I'm stingy; I don't like to share!

Next came the food; low and behold, they were running a lunch special: all burrito lunches were $5.99! They all ran about $7.99 so that was a deal not to be passed up. So I decided to REALLY put them to the test. I ordered their pork burrito. While it did not come near to equaling the Burrito de Puerco from my favorite Frontera, it was very good! Great perfectly cooked pulled pork, seasoned well, and just the right size for lunch! The beans and rice were typical, and overall I was very happy with the meal. We will definitely go back to Guadalajara while in PCB next time. Try it, you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment